to Assemble a Basketmaker's Tool Kit
your Basketry Guide
Assembling the tools you
need to get started in basketry yourself or to make a gift basket for a
beginning basketmaker couldn't be easier. Just follow these steps.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time Required: 30 minutes
Put these things together in a basket or tool bag.
- Pocket knife with a straight edge blade
- Knife sharpener.
- Sharp, strong scissors.
- Tape measure, ruler or cutting mat with measured square grid.
- Water bucket or dishpan, towel, spray bottle and a small square cut from
a sponge for use in wetting your materials.
- Sand paper for finishing handles and rims. Micro-Mesh™
works wonders for a final polish.
- Pencil and notepad for marking materials and taking notes as you work.
- Clothes pins, rubber bands, spring clamps, twist ties or plastic cable
ties for clamping rims.
- An awl for use in packing down your weaving or opening space to insert
your lasher or other element.
- Diagonal cutting pliers for trimming off ends of weavers or removing stray
- Small hemostat or needle nose pliers for reaching into tight areas where
your fingers can't fit.
- Small saw and miter box for cutting rim and handle stock.
- Brass caliper or reed gauge to measure the width of your materials.
- Pruning shears for cutting heavier materials.
- Cutting mat with grid can be used to cover your work table. It is helpful
in measuring spokes, laying out your basket base and keeping your work
- Most basketmakers love tools. Leave room in your tool kit for new toys.
- Putting together a tool kit as a gift basket for a beginning basketmaker? Print
out a free basket pattern you know is in the public domain to tuck into your
Tools to Buy To Fill Your Basketry Tool Kit
Refresh the page to view more selections from a variety of vendors
Basketry How To's