How to Get
Started in Basketmaking
So you've decided to learn to make your first
basket or build on basic skills, but don't know where to begin. Here are a few suggestions
to get you off to a good start.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Time Required: A Few Hours
- Meet others near you who are interested in basketmaking by joining a basketry guild.
- Sign up for an adult education or recreation program in your community.
- Use your local phone book to check for craft centers near you where workshops are
- Read several books or articles about basic techniques.
- Pick the basketry type you are interested in doing.
- Assemble basic tools including measuring tape, scissors, water bucket, awl,
- Locate a spot in your home where you can weave.
- Purchase supplies or a kit from a vendor who sells basketry supplies.
- Read online instructions and browse free patterns for ideas and techniques.
- Weave your first basket.
- Practice, practice, practice.
- Prepare yourself for becoming addicted to weaving.
- Use the interlibrary loan program of your public library to preview books before you
- Make friends with a basket buddy. Make weaving a social affair.
More Basketry How To's