Display, Clean And Care
For Your Basket Collection
Keeping your basketry
collection in the best possible condition and preserving its value for generations to come
is possible if you follow these steps.
Difficulty Level: average
- Choose the proper environment for the display of your baskets.
- Avoid high light levels. Excessive light can cause fading and deterioration of organic
- Avoid excessive humidity. Humidity can cause mold and fungus and may encourage the
propagation of insects.
- Extreme dryness can also be detrimental. Provide an environment with stable, moderate
- Reduce the chance that pests become a threat to your collection by eliminating food
- Visually inspect each basket regularly for damage caused by insects or other pests.
Isolate any piece that has recent damage until the source of the damage is identified and
- Avoid display of baskets in a kitchen area or above a wood stove. Dust, in combination
with air borne grease or combustion residue can be especially destructive.
- Addition of oils and varnishes are not recommended because they alter the original
surface and can become sticky.
- Vacuum baskets occasionally to remove surface dust. Secure an old nylon stocking or
piece of nylon net over the end of the vacuum nozzle. Use a soft artists brush to
sweep dust towards the vacuum.
- Handle your baskets carefully to avoid breakage. Be sure your hands are clean and
lotion-free. Use white cotton gloves when handling highly valuable pieces.
- Document the origin of each piece and keep a written record.
- When displaying your baskets mount each piece securely and change the surface it rests
- Rotating the display, changing the baskets that are out, with others that have been
safely stored away, will limit their exposure to deteriorating factors.
- Archival-quality storage boxes and wrapping tissue should be use for long term storage.
- Repairing damage to a basket can actually reduce its value and should only be done after
- To eliminate mold on a basket place it in a sealed plastic bag and put it in the freezer
for 48 hours. Brush off any residue outside and be certain the basket is dry before
returning it to its place in the display.
- Washing baskets is in most cases not a recommended approach to cleaning. This advice is
frequently offered, but can result in disastrous consequences.
- Seek the help of a well qualified conservation professional for any basket with
Register To Bid On eBay